Thursday, February 5, 2009

Grandma would be happy

So today Dani and I didn't really have anything in particular planned out so it was great when Jack stopped by this morning to see if we wanted to go check out St. Paul's Cathedral. He definitely didn't have to ask me twice and off we went. We finally found it after some wandering and you really cannot miss it. It's huge! We walked around the exterior and took some great photos of it, even though it wasn't the best weather. It's been misting all day, very wet. We then ventured in to see how much it cost and it was a bit more expensive than we guessed but the cashier gave us a student discount that cut the cost a bit. As soon as we got through the barrier I was in awe, it looks even bigger once you are inside. The ceiling is gorgeous, I don't think I would be able to describe it properly. But imagine gold mosaics practically glowing in the light. We found a stairway which allowed us to venture up (257 stairs) to the Whispering Dome. It is pretty much as it sounds if you sit up there you can hear the conversations across the way. Really great acoustics. I could sit up there for hours if they let me. The paintings made my jaw drop, I have never seen anything like it really. We then went up (~170) stairs to the outdoor balcony which had an amazing view of the city. Spent time up there taking pictures and slowly made our way back down. Now these stairs, let's just say they wouldn't fit any regulations in modern society. It became a task to make sure you didn't take a tumble down them. After we left we headed to a restaurant/ pub, called All Bar One, down the way where I tried bangers and mash for the first time. It was delicious! I would definitely recommend it to others.
oh and you will see that we weren't allowed to take pictures inside, so sorry I couldn't share my eyes with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment